Monday, August 13, 2007

Mad as a hatter

The phrase "Mad as a hatter" is thought to come from the use of mercury (and subsequent poisonings) in the felt hat trade.

I'm in LA today, I should have been here a lot earlier, however Delta in their wisdom over sold my flight and so I was bounced from the early morning flight to one six hours later - I was not happy. Anyway, watching CNN in the waiting area I see they are doing a piece on Mercury poisoning, levels in fish etc.

I remember as an undergrad chemist spending part of an inorganic course discussing heavy metal build up, with the examples of the horrors in Minamata in Japan. In Neurotoxicology and Teratology we have published many papers over the years regarding different exposure levels to mercury including a couple of great papers in the September / October 2006 issue.

The US FDA and EPA have both issued advisories on fish, shellfish and mercury levels (FDA, EPA).

May be best to hold back on the sushi when pregnant . . .

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

How do you feel about the injection of mercury into pregnant women and infants through the vaccine preservative thimerosal? Wouldn't this also pose threats to the developing brain? Thimerosal is still contained in most flu shots that are recommended for pregnant women and annually for children six months through five years of age. I also wonder what effect injected mercury might have on senior citizens who line up for these shots each year. Could Mad Hatter's Disease be another term for such diagnoses as autism and Alzheimer's?